Monday, March 16, 2009

Taking it E.Z. (An Eric C Weekly Section)

So, being that right now i am sitting in a chapel, getting everything ready for a week-long tour shooting Gladys Knight and the Saints Unified Voices choir, i figured it would only be appropriate to talk about my career and where i am headed these days with it.
As you probably already know, i have been on my own trying to get things going for my own 'company' Illmatic Productions (which is just a fancy freelance title so far). The difficult part of finding work and getting started in this industry(video/film) is finding the demographic or niche that you want to hit. My dream, that i always expressed, was to make snowboard/skateboard videos. NOW, my mind has changed, although i am not at all opposed to shooting skate and snowboard stuff. In school they glamorize and make everything seem that FEATURE FILMS are what everyone is going to be making, but it's damn obvious that 90% of the people in film classes will probably not have anything to do with the industry upon completion of their degrees. The reality of film school is very grim. You're being taught film basics from instructors that have not made it in the industry themselves, therefore can't tell you what they KNOW in getting your career going. I was lucky enough to work with a production company for over a year shooting/editing/directing a monthly 30 minute program that was only shown on local access television, but taught me many valuable lessons that i needed to realize how to plan and carry out deadlines for things. The show wasn't good, but definately gave me a good foundation of things that i needed to have under my belt to work in this career.
I have a new dream in film/video... I would love to spend my life making documentaries. Right now i am in the beginning process of planning my first doc, and to make it happen, im going to have to score some funds(like a grant). If i can manage this, then ill be on the road to work full time on this documentary. The thing i love about documentary is the realities of life that they portray and the things about life that i can learn and experience in the process of shooting and editing. They still contain the basic storytelling characteristics of a feature film, but have more of a challenge to form out of real footage from someone's life. To pay the bills, i am taking on other video, such as corporate and even WEDDINGS(something i never thought i could do). I have to say i am very lucky that i have a rad wife that will support me in this whole difficult venture, but she has a good attitude which is definately helpful. Anyways, that's all i got for now.

2 comments:

Super Angie said...

Documentaries sound great! We have a friend that shoots documentaries. He's definitely made use of grants and always has a few other projects going. Can't wait to see what you come up with!

a.k.a. Jack said...

Eric-
You know you will do great at whatever you put your mind to--even weddings! Good luck with this next step. I still need to meet your lovely wife sometime. She seems like alot of fun.
-Jenny